Sunday, December 28, 2008

the reasons why

There are two questions I have for practically everyone I meet in SL. The first one is 'why did you come to SL in the first place?' and the second one is "why do you keep coming back?' I find the answers to these two questions provide a good insight into how someone 'lives' in SL and how it functions in his or her real life.

My profile message once said something like 'we all come to sl looking for something we don't have in rl or trying to forget something rl won't let us forget.' I took that message down, but I still think it's true. I came to sl because I read an online article about it. I had recently left a very demanding and fulfilling job, found I was having trouble adjusting to the world of the stay-at-home mom, and I wanted a new hobby. I thought it was a computer game. *wipes tears of laughter from her eyes* :P

Yesterday, Troy and I spent the day in Freakheim, first working our shifts, and then hanging around for good tunes and great company. Somehow, we got onto the topic of what brought us all to SL. Many were introduced by a real life friend to SL. (I hope my rl sis forgives me for dragging her in.) A few friends of mine came because they thought they could make money. *wipes her eyes from laughter yet again* Some technophiles and WofW players come to try out the platform and the programming aspects. For many, it's just good, old-fashioned curiosity.

Well, that's the first part...but what about the second question. With older avies especially, I always want to know, why keep coming back? The best answer I ever got was 'stupidity.' That cracked me up. If you've ever had your heart broken, your money stolen, or a friend betray you, you can relate.

We've all seen the profile messages that mention the addictive nature of SL. I think some brains (I'm talking from a biochemical standpoint) actually respond more intensely to the SL experience. Some folks don't 'get it' and some 'get it' too damn well. You know what I mean.

We come for friends, for love, for music, for art, for fantasy, to fill the void, to play. We come because it's a portal to the world. I live in the middle-of-nowhere American plains, and I have friends from across the globe. We come because (and this is the true irony of SL) we crave the human interaction.

I hope you aren't waiting for a point to my rambling because it's not forthcoming. ;))

Oh, and a huge, giant congrats and a hug to Oz and Guen. I adore you both. I hope you can find your way. When two hearts try to make it work, there is no reason for regret.

peace