Saturday, December 20, 2008

latest poem

(sometimes, it's the littlest things you never had that you miss the most)

Sunset

tonight, just now, I looked out the
window, across a snow-covered field,
to the southwest,

the setting sun casts pale red and orange across the sky,
it’s gorgeous--the type
you write poems about.

I don’t want to write.
I want to tug your arm and point,
saying ‘look at that,’
but I can’t.

you are too far from me

we don’t share glowing horizons, time zones, or
even a continent.

the sunsets we watch together don’t
look anything like the light
streaming through my window, just now,
this moment.

so, I write another poem to you.

gratitude is the lesson I learn--
the gift of you, of us.

in quiet minutes that turn into hours
the colors deepen into night,

a few bright stars appear in my solitude
as the moon leaves your side to follow me


12-19-08