Friday, October 24, 2008

Who are You in SL?

I don't think SL is a 'game.' The reason I don't is because for the first few months of my time there, I tried to treat it as such, and I failed miserably. What I mean by 'game' is that if you engage in behavior in SL that you would not in RL, that is a game mentality. Obviously, there are no winners or losers in SL (although a case could be made...). I think the 'game' mentality is what allows people to lie, cheat, steal, and otherwise manipulate avi's in ways they would never have the guts or the malice to in RL. I think SL is positive in that it fosters people's creativity and need for companionship, but also a negative for allowing avi's to engage in ANY sort of behavior they wish to without risk of pesky, RL consequences.

I grant that the environment allows us to live out our wildest fantasies, and there is nothing wrong with that, per say. The problem, for many, is when what you are doing in SL conflicts with who you think you are in RL. It became a problem for me, at any rate. Once I realized I could no longer do things in SL that I wouldn't in RL, the 'game' aspect disappeared entirely for me, and I had to completely redefine my purpose in SL. It wasn't easy. It's still evolving.

peace ;)