Sunday, October 26, 2008

Just like in real life...

...one person makes all the difference. One of my best friends, (sl/rl), is offline this weekend. So, I've logged on a few times, done some freebie hunting (I'm a pro), tinkered with the house, hit my usual sims, but it's no good. When the one person who really matters is gone, it's flat-out lonesome in ANY reality.

It's funny how the more time I spend in SL, the more convinced I am in the lack of a line between RL and SL. And then...something to make me think twice. While shopping yesterday, I profile perved an avi who's First Life message point blank states that he uses his avatar to explore his deepest, most disturbing and (from the looks of his group memberships) violent and sexually aggressive compulsions. It was perhaps one of the scariest profiles I've ever encountered. I guess SL is good for him, if he's harboring all these violent tendencies...as long as SL quenches the need rather than fans the flame. I just don't know. I guess it's not much different than some of the more violent video games out there, except the RPing aspect can become extraordinarily 'real' from a psychological perspective. SL seems more 'authentic' than any FPS game I've ever played or heard about.

I hope he finds what he needs in SL, and I hope he can keep the divide successfully intact, something I could never do.

peace