Tuesday, January 13, 2009

birthday musings

warning: pointless philosophical ramblings ahead...but it's my birthday, and I can pontificate if I want to. :P

I've grown tired of the games people play. I've grown tired of the 'woe is me' attitude, and I've grown tired of the silly, little stunts people pull in an effort to make themselves relevant. I purposely stay as 'out of the loop' as possible regarding the hook-ups and break-ups in SL, the backstabbing, the name-calling, and the drama. I see how truly pointless it is and how detrimental it is to one's quality of life, regardless if it's virtual or not. One of my favorite phrases regarding SL is 'don't go borrowing trouble .' Indeed.

Troy and I had a long talk Sunday about leaving SL. We've had the talk before. One of my closest friends just left, and I respect her decision, her reasons, and frankly, I think she's right. I hope her leave of absence 'takes' and she's able to stay away. There must be a 'point of no return,' for many in SL, and after that time, leaving becomes damn near impossible.

But back to Troy and I. I don't know what the future holds for us...if we'll stay or if we'll invest ourselves fully in RL. The point is, we don't need SL. We are above it. It's something we do for fun, but it doesn't define our relationship. He has a RL best friend he met in SL over two years ago, and she rarely logs on, but that doesn't matter; they are still best friends. Their relationship is stronger than and bigger than SL. That's where Troy and I are. I've pushed him away too many times, and he's put me through the wringer a few times as well, but here we are, past all that nonsense, strong as ever. More gratitude from me, and that's something I won't let go of.

peace